Friday, June 22, 2007

at the library

While I am in Savannah I do my computer dallying at the public library. I truly believe that Bubba would let me bring his laptop, but we can't get same to work at the condo. Rather than eliminating this one thing from my busy routine while I am here, I almost daily make the trek to one of the many public libraries here in Savannah. What may be on my computer fascinates me enough to draw me in like a bee to a honeycomb. Basically, I'm lost without it.

The actual process of reserving a computer is easy......but the wait is hard. Everyone else in Savannah no matter what color or race, whether they are short or tall, fat or thin, male or female, all converge here as well. I grasp my reservation number and eyeball the person that is on my intended computer until at last he gets up and vacats.

I have to hurry because I only get thirty minutes.....during that time someone is eyeballing me and making me nervous and worried that I won't be able to get it all done. I never do.

No one comes here for books anymore. It is kind of sad and sometimes I feel guilty about all of the books that no one checks out. Occassionally I will browse them while I'm waiting, but the big rush is for the computers.

I do remember all of the "be quiet" rules from my childhood, and I actually got scolded from a big, grouchy man behind the desk when my cell phone went off unexpectedly. I left with my head held low.

I really like the library at Tybee the best, but they are on "Tybee time," and have short open hours and only six computers.

I really need to find a more conveinient hobby or whatever this obsession with the computer is, but, it is a wide open plethera of information and response and I will probably keep coming back for more!!!

No comments: