Friday, June 15, 2007

music and memories

I like to listen to Fernando Ortega. He says in his songs what I would say if I could write songs. I love music accompanied by a quitar and that is what he does. He sings hymns simply and in between he adds songs about his family and the beautiful southwest where he resides.

I have a particular fondness for that part of our country because that is where David spent four years attending the Master's seminary, where he had his first job as a youth pastor, where he met and married his beautiful wife Erika, and where our lovely Lucy was born.

I love the strangeness of it. It wasn't like anything I had ever experienced before. I love the atmosphere, it has a dry, kind of smokey smell...the smell of the trees that grow there. I love the desert, the vastness of it, and the promise of the Pacific Ocean beckoning over the mountains, sparkling blue and most always pacified as to its name.

They say "the song remembers when." I want to go back there.....Bubba says we will. I can't wait..............until then I'll just listen to Fernando.

No comments: