Thursday, June 28, 2007

my bouganvilla

I love the bouganvilla plant. It grows profusely out in California with such breathtaking bursts of color that it takes my breath away. I bought one for my deck at the beach expecting the same marvelous display. Much to my dismay after the lovely blooms that came with it floated on the breeze out to places unknown, there have been no more.

It is green and kind of dead brown in some places. Every morning when the first rays of the sun filter onto the deck I go out to inspect it. I am watering it with something called "root & bloom" that was recommended by the lady at the nursery.

Part of the problem is that I was gone for a month and it only got watered a couple of times. I think it is trying to recover from that shock and trauma and that one day soon I will be rewarded for my renewed care. I will keep hoping for huge blooms cascading over the balcony and blowing in the ocean breezes. Maybe I will sing to it tonight.

PS Will somebody look up the spelling of this word and let me know if I spelled it correctly. Again I apologize for my lack of good spelling skills. I will have to figure out how to get spell check working if I'm going to continue to do this blog.

6 comments:

David said...

The correct spelling is "Bouganvilla". Would you say that you have been giving your bouganvilla too much fertilizer? Too much fertilizer can lead to lush growth but few blooms. One website even suggests that you not be afraid to "starve" your bouganvilla.

Anonymous said...

I was very close to the correct spelling.

I did try to starve it while I was gone and that caused it to get in the condition it is in now.

I have not gotten to the point of lush growth yet so I will keep on fertilizing.

I had no idea that you were such a horticulturist. I am impressed.

David said...

Just FYI, the plant itself was discovered by Admiral Louis de Bougainvillea in 1768. It was the botanical highlight of his voyage.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much David for the constant flow of trivia that flows out of your head. I had no idea that you would be so filled with information about my little plant. By the way, 173 people have looked at my profile.

Anonymous said...

You probably need to close your blinds......

Cathy Cleland said...

This comment is hilarious. You must have known I needed a laugh this morning.