Saturday, June 23, 2007

the turtle

I was driving home yesterday afternoon enjoying the scenery. There was a good bit of traffic, but we were all moving along at a steady clip. I was thinking that there wasn't much at the condo to eat....

The turtle was crossing the road in front of me. It had completely made its way across the other lane and was about four inches into my lane. I didn't know it was a turtle untill my tire was about three inches from his sturdy little shell. As I narrowly passed him by I looked back to see the cars behind me swerving to avoid hitting the defenseless little critter.

I don't know if he made it or not but I asked myself this pertenint question: "Why do the turtles at Tybee think that they have to cross one of the most dangerous roads in Savannah to be happy." The beachside seems to have everything they need in great guantities....sand, beach grass, nooks and crannies in the sand dunes, and it is all so peaceful and quiet.

What is over the road that so draws them with such devastating outcomes? I think it has to do with mating and laying eggs, but why do they have to put themselves in such peril to do that. I just don't have a clue. If you know the answer to this mystery, please pass it on to me.

I know this verse applies to man, but it also fits the turtles too:

"A man who wanders from the way of understanding
will rest in the assembly of the dead." Proverbs 21:16

2 comments:

amanda h said...

I think the question we have to ask is, "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Anonymous said...

Would someone please answer Amanda's question?

I thought I had explained all of this about the birds and the bees to her when she was growing up.