Saturday, March 1, 2008

a lizard by the fireplace

The first one to move into our new house was a lizard.
He was little and dead, but he was still a lizard.
If any of you know me well you know that lizards turn my blood to ice water.
Immediately my mind goes to work:

How did he get in?
Where's his momma?
Has she given birth to more little lizards?
What does this mean in the whole scheme of things?
Should we not move in?

When I was ten or eleven I had a traumatic experience with a very large lizard.
I was taking a short cut through through some hedges after a long Saturday of play.
It was getting dark and my parents had called me home to get my hair washed for church the next day.
When I emerged one of the biggest lizards I have ever laid my eyes on was attached to my arm.
I went into hysteria and had to be slapped to come out of it.

I never remember being scared of them before that day, but that day is as vivid in my mind as if it just happened. Today I am still that little girl when I encounter a lizard.

Please promise never to come at me with a lizard to see my reaction.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I remember the lizard event or at least the residue left over from it. Your house is so nice. Hope to see you there one day soon...
Beautiful grand children we have. I will send you the site for all of Nathan's pictures asap.
Love you guys,
Trish

Anonymous said...

Cathy, One of my favorite stories of Evelyn Gordon is the one where you
had to call her when you were just home from the hospital with David to
come and do away with a lizard that
had come in off of the weeping willow tree outside your door. She took care of the situation.
Estelle

Anonymous said...

I bet someone had to slap the lizard also...............

Anonymous said...

Growing up in the aftermath of Cathy's terror it was inbred in me also to be terrified. Cathy and I have a "radar" for lizards...our minds never stop seeking them out, and we know where they are before most people ever notice them. So sorry about the incident...it is "freeing" to live in Wisconsin where there are none...I can thrive in the garden! Teri

Anonymous said...

How ironic! EVERY single time I see a lizard my mind instantly brings forth an image of playing with a lizard at the O'Quinn's... a fond memory of Teri & I playing on the front porch. As if it were yesterday, I can see that green lizard on the leaf of a bush on the side of the porch closest to the street. I think I liked playing with lizards then. I prefer to look at them now and leave the playing and catching to my sons.

Cathy, I love reading your blog. It's like taking little visits to Savannah. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful city!
Donna in Alabama