Friday, June 13, 2014

a simple bouquet


If I had known then what I know now,
I would have carried
a simple bouquet of pale pink peonies
in my hand
as I walked down the aisle
to marry my beloved.

There is something that is
simply elegant about these flowers.
Nothing more is needed,
they say everything that needs to be said.

I have a bunch of four peonies
in an exquisite vase
 on the island in my kitchen.
Every time I walk by them, they take my breath away.
Tomorrow they will start to fade away,
but O the joy they bring me today.

We have a time here on this earth.
We are promised at best seventy years of life,
eighty if we are strong.
Our time is brief, a mere whisper, a turning leaf.

We are made in God's image,
we are set aside to bring glory to God.
It takes a lifetime to learn all of the lessons,
and then it is still by grace that we make it to heaven.

Sometimes we get so bogged down in the mire of life
that we forget about the joy,
the wonder of it all.

Augustine said
that the chief end of life
is to know God and to to enjoy Him forever.

Is that our goal,
are we seeking to know Him,
really know Him,
and then to find the joy that nothing else can provide?

cathy


No comments: