Monday, August 18, 2014

the last little bit of summer



What is good about the month of August?
It was my mother's birthday month.
And it is my sister's birthday too.
Also,
one of my best ever life-long friends made her debut
in the month of August.

When August commences, there is still some summer left......
it's not over yet.
The big topic of conversation is
Back to School.
The days begin to shorten noticeably,
but it is still hot, and very humid....
dog days of summer 
they call this time of year.

There is an ending implied, though,
and it hangs heavy on the hearts of those who love summer.
The shorter days are the first clue.
School starting is next,
Causing one to think of football and sweaters,
cooler temperatures,
falling leaves,
fires,
and golden days.
I hold on tightly to summer.
August brings the first tingle of sadness and loss to me.

I cherish dearly the last hot days,
 long evenings,
afternoon thundershowers cooling the air,
sandals and shorts,
fresh veggies ripe from the vine,
flowers growing in the yard,
newly mown grass,
swimming,
the last little bit of summer.

#counting the days 
until our late summer vacation begins.



No comments: