Sunday, September 7, 2014

stones


My Saga

It was 4:00 am on Saturday morning (yesterday).
I should have still been sleeping.
But I was in pain....
like pain I've never experienced before.

Should I wake Bubba?
No,
it will go away soon.
It didn't!
At a little after 5:00 am,
we were in the ER.

Come on in Cathy,
we have a nice bed for you right here....
in the hall.
Could I please have a sheet?
Oh sure.

Don't worry.....
we will get you comfortable
 as soon as this nurse learns how to 
insert an IV in your arm.
She never did learn.
My arm is black and blue from where she practiced, though.
Another nurse (male)
got it done in two seconds flat.

Sorry, 
we need to take you to get a CAT scan.
We'll get you feeling better after that.
Could I have a sheet please?
Oh sure.

Afterwards,
they take me back to my place in the hall,
give me some meds in my IV,
and swiftly disappear.
The pain and nausea finally begin to dissipate.

Could I have a room, please?
Sorry, no room for you....
all of these other people have a room.
but there is not one for you!

Bubba is perched on the end of my stretcher,
because 
there is no chair for him in the hall.

Soon, the floor cleaner comes with this large machine
making the loudest noise I have ever heard.
He concentrated on the space right around my stretcher.
It must have been really filthy there.

Finally my doctor appears with a huge smile on his face,
when the floor cleaner finally moves on.
You have a Kidney Stone!
Is this supposed to be good news?

The pain is worse than childbirth.....
but you will live.
Go home, rest, and look for that stone!!!
Groggy from all the medication they pumped into my arm,
I slept all afternoon.
I haven't seen that Stone yet....
probably never will!

Oh my,
that's not how I planned to spend my Saturday.


No comments: