Wednesday, November 8, 2017

seeing hearts


You never know when one will show up.
They come out of the blue...
unexpectedly.
I'm speaking of hearts and how they appear in my life.
I am holding an oyster shell.
The colors behind are the sky, the ocean, and the sand.
I'll tell you how I came to have it.

So....Lucy and I were at the beach.
We brought a bucket, two kites, and two nets.
We tried for a long while to get a kite up,
but it wasn't happening.
I retreated to my low to the ground beach chair.
Lucy decided to take the bucket and the net to catch some minnows.

When I looked up,
she was approaching with the bucket saying,
"Grammy look what I caught."


She pulled out the black oyster shell and handed it to me
thinking she was playing a joke.
(She had not noticed the heart)
I started rejoicing quite loudly.
She thought I had lost my mind.
I showed her the heart and then she understood.
She had found her Gram a great treasure.
Lucy already knew about my obsession with "seeing hearts."
The last one she found was a chocolate chip cookie in the shape of a heart.


No comments: