Wednesday, September 19, 2012

love & light

 
Once upon a time,
when I was a little girl,
I had a playhouse out in the backyard.
Every day it was my job
to go out and care for my babies.
Most days
my friend Loucinda joined me
 and the two of us played
"mommy"
 until the sun went down and
we couldn't play any more.
 
Isn't it funny that we never played
"grandmother?"
I guess it was too far ahead
 for a couple of eight, nine, ten year old girls
to imagine themselves with
gray hair and,
grown children,
who had their own kids.
 
I say all of that to say this....
Earlier in the week I got this in an e-mail from Lou.
I hope you don't mine if I share.
I want it here on my blog for posterity.
It touched me in a way few thing do.....
 
"Dearest Girlfriend Grammy.....
I had been waiting for that photo of the Fab Five
(referring to the picture of the children I posted a few days ago.)
I knew you would post a picture of those kids together....
Those babies/children,
those beautiful,
different,
utterly unique
Cleland grandkids.
I laughed out loud and felt in my heart when I saw those faces......
My friend Cathy's beautiful babies....
they will always be our babies."
 
I love this and I love you dear friend.
Why do you think we never played
grandmother?
 
(both pictures taken by Erika....can't you tell?)

No comments: