Wednesday, June 20, 2012

happy birthday daughter of mine


It was the summer of the bicentennial.
We had just moved
into our brand new home on Donna Road.
I was so excited to have a new house
and a baby on the way.

The bambino was due to arrive on
June 10, 1976.
We had endured my
ballooning pregnancy,
the excruciating ups and downs of building the house,
and the hardships of living in a tiny one bedroom apartment with
our toddler, David.

I was ready to deliver without any delays on the tenth.
The timing was right and I was huge.
The little one
needed to come on out
or I was going to have to lay down and die from exhaustion.

Well, no baby on the tenth,
or the eleventh,
or the 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, or 18th.

The nineteenth was a Saturday.
I got up and set to scrubbing and sanitizing the house.
I worked all day!!!

Sunday was to be Father's Day
and we planned the big one, a feast that is.
A spread...all the food that we could cook
 would be on that table.

Labor started in the wee hours of Sunday morning.
She came @ 1:30 pm...
right smack in the middle
of our feast.

No one worried about eating food that day.
We had Amanda...
the best Father's Day gift Bubba ever got!

No comments: