Friday, June 15, 2012

i am a certifiable....


Titanic Fanatic!!!!!

While enduring a long sit
 at Monkey Joes
 a couple of weeks ago,
I was thrilled out of my mind to find this
 National Geographic Magazine
with a cover story about the Titanic.

With children bouncing and yelling all around me,
I quickly became engrossed
in the story about the ship's final moments. 

 I am blessed with the
 inate ability
 to read anywhere and in any situation. 
Noise,
low lights,
automobiles,
the beach,
eating,
walking,
 nothing deters me from getting lost in the written words.

I wrote two quotes to share with you....

"The Titanic,
a vessel with too much pride in her name,
sprinting smartly to a new world,
only to be mortally nicked
by something
 as old and slow as ice."

I just love that quote by author
Hampson Sides
in the article
The Lights are finally On.

and then this question....
What happened to all the people still on board when she sank?

again I quote....

"Most of the 1,496 victims died of
hypothermia
at the surface bobbing in a patch of cork life-perservers.

But hundreds of people
may still have been alive inside ~
most of them immigrant families in steerage class
 looking forward to a new life in America.

How did they,
during their last moments,
 experience the colossal
wrenching and shuddering of metal
as the ship
sank down into the depths
and broke apart?

What would they have heard and felt?
It is,
even a hundred years later,
 to awful
to contemplate."

This still stuns me every time I read it.

1 comment:

Allison Stroud said...

I loved this! I can't imagine what it must have felt like to know you were literally going to your death like that.