Tuesday, August 29, 2017

teddy bear standing guard


I love this picture.
What little child has not at some time believed
 that their favorite stuffed animal 
keeps them safe when the lights go out.
We have made many trips to retrieve
 our grandkid's forgotten source of comfort in the night.

We live in a world that is scary.
Storms, violence, sickness, and death.....
people, situations, accidents, abuse.
All of these things and more can cause anxiety 
to run amuck in our minds,
seeming insurmountable as in the picture above.
Our fears can seem like beasts hovering over us ready to devour.

But God tells us not to be afraid.

"I will never leave you or forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5b

"The Lord is my helper; I will not fear.
What can man do to me?"
Hebrew 13:6

As I continue to struggle with anxiety and depression issues,
I am constantly drawn to God's precious word.
God is the One who protects us!
God is the One who cares for us and who knows how many hairs are on our head.
God is the One who goes before us and makes our paths straight.
In His word are treasures forever.

These are the truths that I pray will replace the teddy bears when the grandchildren get older.
That they will have a firm foundation of scripture to take to bed with them at night 
when the teddy bears are put in the attic. 
That they will know the One who slays the dragons of fear, 
that they will put their trust in Him and Him alone.

One more...
"Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged,
for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9










No comments: