Friday, March 13, 2020

this tree


I'd never picked out a cemetery lot before.
Bubba and I had talked about it, but it never happened.
It seemed as if we had a lot more life to live.

The task appeared daunting to me.
Planning a funeral and picking out a place for us to be buried was unchartered territory.
All of a sudden it became an urgent necessity.

It was the tree that drew me to the spot where I would lay him.
In the afternoon,
 our lot will be shaded from the sun by the beautiful shadow of this tree. 🌳
One day I will join him there,
but for now, I have to learn how to live again without my best friend and confidant.

Every minute I have something to tell him...
a funny story,
everything that happened the week after he left me,
that the geraniums on the back porch are outdoing themselves.
I want to know what he thinks about the cemetary lots, 
how many people came to his funeral,
how much everyone loved and respected him,
how the whole world has gone mad over the corona virus,
how it looks like "Bernie" will definitely not be president. 
(thank goodness)

I will see him again and I will talk to him again but I have to wait a while.
In the meantime I will stay here in the "land of the living" doing the next thing.

"And after this Abraham buried Sarah his wife
 in the cave of the field of Machpelah facing Mamre in the land of Canaan." 
Genesis 23:19


No comments: