Thursday, March 24, 2011

entubed

First of all let me clarify something...
I have not ever had a MRI before.
The other test that I thought was a MRI was,
in fact, a cat scan.
NOW I know the difference.

Entering the room I was asked this question...
Are you claustrophobic?
"No, not as long as I stay in wide open spaces," I reply.
"Well, I was just asking
because some people freak out
when they go into this tube," said the nice technician.

I start thinking....
"If I go into that tube
I will probably do worse than freak out.
I can't do this....
How can I get out of this gown,
this room,
this place?

After stretching out on the cold, hard slab,
the girl assured me that I would be fine.
She slid me in quickly and immediately I thought....
It's kinda like a tanning bed.
Not that I've been in that many of those,
but the concept is the same.

It wasn't long before the jack-hammering began.
I have never heard such obscene sounds in my life.
At one point I heard a rapid-fire machine gun
and something shouting "die-die-die" over and over again.
It was a good thing she gave me ear-plugs.
but they didn't really help that much.

For an hour I held my breath
for as long as thirty seconds at the time
and then mercifully was told I could breathe again.
I messed up a couple of times
and breathed when I shouldn't have.
(Hope they don't find that out.)

I made it through successfully
and hightailed it
to Panera to get some coffee and an orange scone.

Here's the scoop...
I have an elusive pain
and they are looking for the elusive cause.
I will be waiting to hear from Dr. Mark on this one.

I prayed alot in that tube too....
(there were some quiet moments)
I know that's what got me through.

glad its over,
cathy

No comments: