Sunday, February 3, 2013

for some strange reason....


Lucy Blu thinks that I am her sports counterpart.
She is constantly talking to me about
bike rides
foot races
volleyball games
tennis matches
and the latest.....
"Grammy you need to get one of these scooters"

Yesterday I got back on my bike again
for the first time
since the accident in September.
We rode around the neighborhood right near the house.
It was good,
refreshing,
wonderful to be riding again.

After that, Gus got up 
and I took them out to run on the grass.
I devised a game of catch
where every time you throw the ball
you take a step back,
gradually increasing the distance of the throws.
This seemed to catch her attention and so we started throwing.

On Lucy's very first throw,
the ball hit my ring finger on my right hand.
This morning it is red as fire
and swollen up to twice its size.
All of the extrodinary physical therapists at church think it is broken.
"Tape it and keep ice on it till you can get an xray."

I'm beginning to wonder if I am a certifiable
"disaster waiting to happen."

Lu, on the other hand, is still so proud of me.
I played on for another 20 minutes in pain.
In her eyes
 I will never come down from
the pedestal
of her super sports hero.

Never in my whole life was I ever even halfway good at spots!


No comments: