Sunday, December 14, 2014

hilton head


This little shop is hidden away on Hilton Head Island.
Bubba and I hopped in the car and drove over
yesterday to do a little Christmas shopping.
What a joy to be a short drive away.

I knew Hilton Head before it was developed.
My uncle bought a piece of property
at the beginning of the island
just over the big bridge.
We used to go over there for picnics
and to help him clean up.
Not much work got done....
being children we played and relished our freedom.

They, my uncle & aunt, 
took my family over one evening
 to eat at the William Hilton Inn,a fancy hotel,
the first one built there.
Our meal cost $5.00 and I thought,
"What an extravagance!"

As a teenager, many group dates happened on the island.
It was practically deserted and very wild.
I thought it the most beautiful place in the world.

Then after I married Bubba,
when many condos and houses and hotels started springing up,
we spent weeks at a time with our families
at Shorewood, 
the place Bub and I revisited this summer.
We have taken our grandchildren.
They beg to go back to what they call
the Thanksgiving house.

It is still so exciting to cross over onto that island.
It kinda feels like home to me.
It is so great to be able to wake up in the morning and say,
out of the blue,
"You want to go over to Hilton Head today?"

Yesterday we went Christmas shopping
 and ate at a favorite restaurant.
We came home happy and content, 
even today talking about how much fun we had.

I love Hilton Head!!!

No comments: