Tuesday, November 8, 2016

my much loved tybee island


[Photo: @dillonpatel93 via instagram]

I love this picture.
Vantage point is south end.
Tide is low.
You can see the pier jutting out into the ocean.

Tybee Island is a small island...
not quite three miles long.
It is mostly residential.
Lots of quaint and colorful cottages
line the narrow streets.
Bicycles abound.
Palm trees and hibiscus are everywhere.
Of course you have your honky tonks, which I avoid at all costs.
There are a few really good restaurants.
Some of our favorites have come and gone.
There is a library and a post office where we still get our mail.
Can't forget the Sugar Shack for ice cream on the way home.

Memories on this island go way back.
It was great growing up so near the ocean.
From the childhood joys of playing in the sand and testing the surf,
to my teenage years of baking in the sun,
to my older age, owning a "place on the beach,"
Tybee has always been magical.

Now I love to walk on the beach and search for treasures
with my grandkids.
I like to watch the sun go down,
I like the drive there and back,
on the causeway through the marsh.

I love when the weather cools off and the tourists go home
and I have the beach all to myself.
I love the smell of the puff mud and the salt air.
I love the feel of the sand between my toes.
I love to take pictures of all of the beauty.
I love to hunt for sea glass and shark teeth.

I was born to be a "Beach Girl."
Have loved it all my life.

Thank you God that you allow me to live so close.



No comments: