Thursday, July 8, 2021

the rest of the Elsa tale


While I was waiting for Elsa yesterday,
(the picture is not Elsa)
I did a blog diary of my thoughts and actions while waiting for her.
By 5 PM I was done.
 I had decided that she probably wasn't even coming to Savannah.
It was too quiet out there.
At 8:30 PM I reluctantly closed the blinds and went to bed to read.
Mildly disappointed, but ready for my Elsa watch to be over.

Not long after I turned out the light and started to drift off, she came.
Elsa was a wild buck of a storm.
From about 9:30 PM she howled and hissed and threw water at my windows like a madwoman.
The lightning was never-ending, striking close, lighting up my bedroom.
The thunder thumped and bumped and shook my bed.
She was unrelenting.
She never took a break.
She expended her full fury on our fair city.
My body hurt all over from the barometric drop.
I was alone in a storm-tossed stupor somewhere between sleep and terror.
At 1:30PM she finally, mercifully stopped with her fury. 
Somewhere in that interval of time, my power went off.
It got quiet and very dark.
I fell into a fitful sleep.
It got very hot.
I remember hoping that the power would return so that I could have my coffee this morning.
It didn't,

David and Erika and the kids lost their power too,
But, they have a gas stove.
They invited me over for a french press.
I went happily!
That offer of hospitality is what got me through the rest of the day.
We all have power now.
Remarkably there was not much damage.
Some trees and debris down,
some flooding, 
some stalled cars alongside the road.

I have cleaned out my fridge and thrown away the perishables.
I have bought new food.
I made three separate trips in town for various food-related issues.
I still have to set all of the clocks.
I took a nap this afternoon out of sheer exhaustion.
In good storm language,
I have spent all day trying to right my ship.
It's not level yet.
I feel off.
Tomorrow!
Tomorrow I'll be better!

😧







 

No comments: