Sunday, January 16, 2022

Puffy

                                                              

                                  I have been thinking about buying a new mattress for a while.
                                                                          In fact,
 I have been mulling this over in my head for months.
I feel lost sleeping in the king-sized bed I shared with Bubba for so long.
I convinced myself that a change would be good.
I would put the big bed in the guest room.
I think my married guests would really like that option.
I would buy a new queen bed ensemble for the master.
I didn't tell anyone of my plan.
I wanted it to be a surprise

David and Erika helped me buy a new king mattress for our condo.
It was bought and delivered to the door via the internet.
It was fun to watch it come out of the box and expand.
They have one that they absolutely love.
I decided to go that way myself.

After much research,
I bought one called Puffy.
Highly recommended it was.


Yesterday afternoon about 2:30 I decided to make a pilgrimage to the Chick-Fil-A
to get some chicken fingers and some milkshakes.
When I opened the door I noticed this big, blue box sitting at the bottom of my stairs.
On closer inspection, it was my queen-size mattress.


I was stunned!
The delivery person didn't even let me know it had arrived,
much less bring it up to the porch.
I panicked!
I stood still for a very long time just thinking.
I looked around, nobody was nearby.
Should I call the office?
I had already had to bother them earlier in the day with a plumbing issue.
Finally, I decided...
"I'll go down and shimmy it up slowly by myself."

Y'all, I couldn't even budge it.
It must have weighed 1,000 pounds.
I have gotten a lot stronger since Bubba died,
 but there was no way I was getting that up 26 stairs.
At this point, I prayed this simple prayer,
Lord, please send help.

I walked down to the kiosk to get my mail, still praying.
When I arrived a strapping young man rode up on his bicycle.
I found some boldness and asked,
"Would you like to make some money?"
I've thought about this question and its implications a lot for the last 24 hours.
Questionable at best I think.

😦

Anyway,
I offered him $20.00 to take the mattress up to my foyer.
He agreed, said he needed the money.
Y'all,
I don't know how he got it up there.
He struggled visibly.
I felt so very bad for putting him through that agony.
But it is inside my apartment,
safe and sound,
out of the rain and the wind.
He must have recovered his breath because I saw him later riding his bike down the road.
It looks like it is trying to bust out of the box already.
I hope it stays put for a few more weeks.

I have thanked the Lord over and over and added that young man to my prayer list.
I told him that he was the answer to my prayer.







No comments: