Tuesday, July 25, 2023

same picture ~ different story


This is my very slight nod to Barbie.
I grew up with her but never had a Barbie doll.
She was a part of my culture but never made her way into my heart.
 I had no desire to play with a teenage doll ever.
I much preferred my "Baby Dolls" 
and my real life-sized doll house that my Daddy built for me in our backyard.

My friend Loucinda,
who lived four doors down from me on 35th Street,
and I would wield away our summer days caring for our babies that we thought were real. 
This went on until school started back.
Schoolwork took precedence over our little ones.
They would now have to somehow take care of themselves.
My baby's name was Lynn.
Loucinda named her's Lindy Lou.
She still has Lindy Lou.
I have no idea what happened to Lynn.
Maybe when I went back to school she left to find another caretaker.

Those days were idyllic.
The memories are so vivid in my mind.
Summer days were the best.









 

No comments: