Thursday, August 31, 2023

August slipped away on the winds of a storm


Yesterday was Hurricane Idalia day.
Early in the morning, I threw open the shutters in my bedroom. 
I didn't want to miss a minute of the action.
Come to find out,
there was not much action to see.
We had some gusty wind resulting in downed tree limbs and debris,
and some light to moderate rain,
but for the most part, we fared very well...
until the power went out.


After opening the shutters so that I wouldn't miss a thing,
I started a time outline of Idalia.
Notice that the power went off at 10:16.
Notice that the power came back on at 2:00.
Notice that I stopped writing my list.
I became disoriented.

I had managed to fix my lunch on top of my gas stove.
I was enduring the loss of AC and my overhead fans.
I was settling in for a long period of no power.
And then, surprisingly it came back on at 2:00 PM.
Hallelujah!

Not having power is off-putting in so many ways.
Everything you go to do requires power.
We take it for granted.
It just always works...until it doesn't.

The storm was at its worst from about 2:00 until about 5:00.
Very dark skies, and this was when the wind was the strongest.
Sometime during this time frame the power went off again.
Somehow I knew it wouldn't be back anytime soon.

By 6:00 Idalia had vanished.
It was eerily quiet.
I went outside and ALL of the heavy, tropical humidity was gone.
I went to bed and read by the light of a flashlight until I drifted off to sleep.

The power returned at 4:20 this morning.
I was awakened by the "coming on" machinations of my printer.
I was thrilled.
I could perk my coffee.
I could take a shower and wash my hair.
Thank you GA Power and all of the people who worked so hard to make that happen.

It is an absolutely beautiful day and I am so thankful.
Idalia only gave us a glancing blow here in beautiful Savannah.





 

No comments: