Wednesday, June 24, 2009

the cat scan

This year has been a hard one for me physically.....everyone has times like that when you can't seem to get rid of one ailment before another is coming right down the pike.

Well....I thought I was doing great. I had been feeling well and whole again. I was swimming and walking and lifting babies and taking the stairs instead of the elevator.......lots of energy and enthusiasm for life.

Then I got up one morning and didn't feel so well......"Oh no, it can't be happening again," but it was.

Monday morning early I went to see my doctor.....she took one punch on my tummy and said, "You need to go to the ER." Oh no, this is NOT a good situation.

Same routine...most of us have been there at some time in our lives.......
An ugly gray gown that ties in the back is thrust at you, but the ties are always missing.....
You are told to put that ridiculous excuse for a covering on and get onto the examination table which is hard as a brickbat, narrow as a sliding board, with no pillow in sight.
Unspeakable things will start to happen to you, but don't worry, a DIAGNOSIS will be forthcoming.

Don't worry? Are you kidding? Quite frankly I am scared out of my mind. At times like this I begin to think the worst.....

Now I'm in for abdominal pain....bad pain. The doctor makes a quick visit......I don't have time to speak except to utter these words, "Yes I do have abdominal pain," and he is gone like a vapor, sucked up into the atmoshere.

Next thing I know the nurse is coming in the door with a huge bag of fluid. "Do I have to have an IV?" "Yes dear, now just relax while I stick you with this needle and draw huge quantities of blood from your veins." Relax? Are you serious?

Once she got the IV in place she inserted into it these three things:
1. prilosec
2. an anti-nausea med and
3. morphine.

"Hurray, the glory days are here at last! I will feel no more pain! Just let me sleep right here on this hard slab until I feel better and then I will get up and go home!"

Just when I'm cozying down into my little nest, in she comes with an extra-large vat of liquid that has to be drunk to the bottom. I groggily told her, "Look....there is no way I can drink that much at this time. Please take that out and see if you can interest one of your other patients with it. As for me, I just want to sleep."

to be continued.............

No comments: