Sunday, June 28, 2009

the crushing weight of sin

Sin is what tethers us to this earth.
Our very human existence was marred with it from birth.
We are told in God's word that we are conceived in it.....no one escapes it's brutality.

Sin kills and maims and ruins relationships.
It causes hate, dissensions, quarrels, and fights among us.

Those things we want to do for God seem hard because of it.
Our laziness, greed, selfishness, and pride are fed by it....we cannot escape it.

The more I grow in Christ, the more I hate my sin.
It encumbers, it snares, it bites, it hurts.....there is no stopping it.
Many times I am bowed down under the sheer exhausting weight of it.
I cry tears of shame when it defeats me yet once again.

That's where Christ comes in...that's the amazing thing He did for us on the cross.
The source of sin is Satan and he is very real and very strong.

Satan wants to dishonor God by making believers dishonor Him and thus destroy the work of Christ on this earth.....but God is more powerful than Satan. God won the victory over Satan on the cross and because of that we have the ability to overcome in Christ.

Through the trials of these past years I have fought many sin battles and lost.
I am, thanks to His grace winning some now.

This is the time in my life that I will quit contending.....quit trying to make things right. I will leave that to God and His providence.

One day, that tether to sin will be broken and I will no longer feel that crushing weight of sin.

That is what keeps me going.

In the meantime I will draw near to God and to those who love me. In His word and by His grace and mercy always looking for someone to share the blessings of Christ with.

cathy

No comments: