Thursday, December 1, 2011

sleep study

The doctor said he wanted me to have a sleep study done.
I did.
Tuesday night was the worst night of my life.

I drove myself to the
"sleep center"
and checked in at 8:30pm.
Carrying my pillow
and my book
I had no idea what lay ahead.

The room looked comfortable enough,
but it was,
and I kid you not,
a frozen tundra. 
I have never been so cold in my life.

Nurse Debbie
The first thing I want to do is measure you for a
mask.
You may not need it,
but it is better to do it now than at 1:00 in the morning.

Me
A Mask?
I already know I don't need a mask so let's get on with the study.
I'm ready to go to bed and read.

Nurse Debbie leaves and comes back with three masks.
Let's see which one fits you the best.
Now this mask is hooked up to a blower.
That's right.
You know those blowers they use for yard work?
That was the sound it made.

The first mask made me choke.
The second mask made me choke and start crying.
I agreed to the third mask out of desperation.

Nurse Debbie
Now you put on your pjammas and I'll be back to put the electrodes in.

Me
I have to escape before she comes back.

She put electrodes all over my body
and then she started with my head. 
 She braided my hair
and glued them to my scalp. 
She put something in my nose. 
When she was done,
she gathered all of the wires and tied them together at my back.

Nurse Debbie
You can go to bed now.
there is nothing to this......
and you have to sleep on your back.

Me
Oh please, nurse Debbie,
 I will never go to sleep if I have to sleep on my back. 
I can only go to sleep on my stomach.

Lying awake on my back staring at the camera that was pointing my way,
I knew I was in trouble. 
I had to get up four times in rapid succession and walk down a long hall to the
"little girls room." 
 Each time I had to be
disconnected
and then reconnected. 
After the third time she made me take an ambien. 
 Never had one of those before. 
It put me out like a light.....
didn't even know when she came in and put the mask on.

At 5:00am nurse Debbie came in,
unhooked me
and I drove home...
the happiest person in the world. 
Bubba had the coffee ready and I drank in thankfulness. 
I will see my doctor next week for the results.

I will tell you this....
No mask!
Absolutely.
cathy

1 comment:

Allison Stroud said...

I've always wanted to do a sleep study b/c I thought it was just going to be in a comfy room with plush pillows and a soft mattress...this makes me rethink that option!