Monday, March 4, 2013

my hodie & papa


Lucy, Harry, Gus, Jake, & Eli.....
These are your great-great grandparents.

Hodie was named Mittie Mae Hodges. 
and Papa was named George Henry Hodges.

Your Grammy 
has very fond memories 
of time spent with these two.

Papa was a train conductor for the 
Seaboard Railroad.
The best thing I remember about him was that
he would take me for a walk to find money.
Somehow,
without catching my attention,
He would throw money down on the ground.
This was so exciting....
the best ever!

Hodie was my grandmother.
She gave me my sense of style.
She was a dressmaker.
She made wedding dresses for some ladies.

She would take me to downtown Savannah to
Fines Department Store
and say to me...
"Cathy, pick out a dress and I will make one for you."
We would trek to buy the material, lace, etc,
and then before I knew it,
I had a replica of the fancy dress at the fancy store.

Wish you guys and Lucy could have known them.
They were very, very special.
Lucy, she could have taught you how to sew.


No comments: