Monday, March 11, 2013

the trip home


One of the things that Bubba and I like to do on our trips
 is to go to antique stores.

There is a real impressive one in Williamsburg.
I head straight to the books...
Bubba to the badges and coins and pins.

This time I bought a few new books for the kids,
and also a kids book about the Titanic for me to devour
on the trip home.

I tucked the bag away in the front,
savoring the contents.
As we started the long journey home
on Saturday morning,
we made a pit stop at McDonalds....
(best coffee anywhere to me,
and it only cost 50 cents a cup)
Bubba ran in to get our treats 
and I reached for the bag containing the Titanic book.

"My goodness, this bag is so heavy....
what could be in here?"

Unbeknownst to me,
He had gone to another store,
found this huge, marvelous book,
bought it,
and placed it in the bag with my other books
to surprise me.

Oh the joy...
I read it all the way home,
mesmerized to say the least.
I apologized for having my head stuck in the book for 8 hours,
but I couldn't stop.
Every picture, every word 
was fascinating.

We stopped for lunch,
I got a Dairy Queen,
we exchanged pleasantries,
and then right back to reading.
We were home in no time at all.

Bubba knows me well.
He knows what I like.
He surprises me with good things often.
I am blessed...
I know, I know.

No comments: