Friday, March 22, 2013

this is for lucy.......


....who was sad the other day 
that she never really knew her
 great-grandmother Gi.

Lucy, Gi was my mother,
I know you know that.
I wish you and her could have known each other.

Most of all,
she had a great sense of humor.
She kept all of her friends laughing when she was a young girl,
or so I have been told.
One friend dropped all of her schoolbooks
while she and mom were walking home from school
because she was laughing so hard with her.

Her name was
Shirley Ann Hodges O'Quinn.
Daddy called her Shirl,
I called her momma.

She made the best fudge in the world.
I have her recipe.
We will have to try to make it together one day.

The first picture is when she was about fourteen years old.
I think she was very pretty.
Her birthday was August 30th, 1925.

The second picture was taken while she was out in
Colorado
just before Papa went off to Italy to fight in
World War II.
I bet she was scared to be so high up on that horse.

I miss her alot.
She taught me so many things
like how to cook and keep house and do for others.
She would have loved you Lucy.

This is for Jake and Eli and Harry and Gus too......
one day.
Just wish she could see and know all of you.


No comments: