Thursday, May 16, 2013

26 ~7


Or....
twenty-six hours with a seven year old.

Last night I fixed a scrumptious meal for the fam
and then Lucy spent the night.

I know now why the Lord led me to teach third grade.
Kids at the age of seven or eight 
are utterly fascinating.

After her parents left,
Lu and I got cozy on the sofa and watched
House Hunters ~ Renovation.
We covered up with Lily the blanket
and watched until nine oclock.

This morning she was up at the crack of dawn.
After breakfast,
I gave her a spa shampoo
 and a bath tub
filled with more bubbles than the law allows.
She stayed in until she shriveled up.

First stop when we got to town was
Red Lobster.
We split a steak and crab leg dinner.
She lucked out and got to handle 
a new crop of lobsters 
that had just arrived by UPS.
You would have thought someone had given her a 
bucket of gold.

Next we stopped by to see Snookums the tortoise
at the reptile and amphibian shop.
There,
completely out of place, 
was a cage full of baby rabbits.
She wanted one so badly, and I almost succumbed.
She had already named her favorite.

Barnes and Noble...
What can I say?
She and I spent a long time
sitting in the childrens's section reading.
I found a kid's book about the Titanic that sucked me right in.
I bought her two new books.

Before we hit the road for home,
we stopped at the frozen yogurt shop
 and filled some cups with 
goodness.

This afternoon I taught her how to play jackstones,
one of my favorite childhood pastimes.
She is a quick learner, but is easily frustarted.
We laughed till we cried.

Tonight after eating leftovers from last night,
we took a walk.
Walking and talking...
we found several leaf fossils
 which brought on a good discussion 
about evolution.

Granddaddy has taken her home. :(
I am writing this so I won't forget
how wonderful it is to be a grandmother.


1 comment:

Allison Stroud said...

I know Lucy will cherish these memories one day. I loved time spent with my grandmother as a child. Nothing like it!