Wednesday, May 1, 2013

happy may day


The month of May is here.
This month has always been associated with 
lots of birthdays in the Cleland family.
One day in May
 is always set aside to celebrate the "birthdays."
Some have left us now,
but more have been "born in."

I love the month of May.
May starts the summer in the south.
The flowers are blooming,
the air is warm, but not yet hot,
the days are long,
the nights are short.
It stays light until after eight in the evening.

In some parts of the Untied States 
May baskets are made.
These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats 
and left on someone's doorstep.  
The giver rings the doorbell and runs away.  
The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver. 
 If they catch the giver a kiss is given.

The above scenario has never happened to me.
I have never had a basket of flowers left on my doorstep on the first of May.
I am a little sad about this,
but hey,
the day is just beginning...
it may yet happen.

"One generation passes away,
and another generation comes:
but the earth abides forever."
Ecclesiastes 1:4

Happy May Day.
Wish I could put a basket of flowers on your doorstep.

No comments: