Wednesday, December 11, 2013

our tree ~ 2013


I finally finished decorating it this morning.
It takes me a long time because
I am creating a work of art.

There is nothing more nostalgic
 than opening the boxes 
that contain the family Christmas tree ornaments.

Last year, on January 11th,
our tree was still up.
That was the day my dad passed away.
David and Erika came in the afternoon and took it down for me.
I was not prepared for the tears that appeared
 when the box was opened and I saw them all again.

The Christmas music,
the memories,
the smells,
each little hanging treasure,
all combined to make it a really emotional time.

To top it all off,
I had moma and dad's box of ornaments as well.
I really lost it when I saw mom's handwriting,
designating her little hangers.

Sweet, sweet memories of two people I loved very much.

The tree?
Probably my best work ever.
Couldn't have done it without the man
who did all the hard work.
*Just want to sit and gaze.

No comments: