Thursday, December 12, 2013

thinking about my Savior as a child


Mary,
When Jesus was a boy,
did He swing on the gates of Galilee?
Did He bring home foundling pups and kittens,
Scuff His sandals,
Lose His mittens,
Weight His pockets with a treasure
adult eyes could never measure,
Scratch His hand,
Stub His toe,
on rocky hills where cactus grow,
Set stones and quills and bits of thread
on the windowsill by His bed
so that on waking He could see
all yesterday's bright prophecy?

Mary,
when Jesus was a boy,
Did He play tag with the boys next door,
Tease for sweets at the nearby store,
Whittle and smooth a spinning top,
in His father's carpenter shop,
Run like the wind to sail His kite,
Smile and sigh in His sleep at night,
Laugh with you in long lost springs
about a thousand small, endearing things?

Mary,
Is He the one that said that you
should always dye your dresses blue?
With eyes bright as cinnamon silk,
pink lips ringed with a mist of milk
did He.....
lifting His earthen cup say:
"Just wait till I grow Up?"

I found this with my very old things.
At some point I must have loved it enough to save.
I still love it!
c

No comments: