Thursday, April 18, 2019

supper with friends


Today is Thursday.
The day before Jesus was crucified...
the day that Jesus had His last meal on earth with His closest friends.
They were celebrating Passover,
a very important celebration on the Jewish calendar.
He was still teaching them, still serving.
This is the night that Jesus was betrayed by one of His own...
Judas Iscariot.
"Behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table."
The Bible calls this meal The Lord's Supper.

Earlier two of His disciples were told by Jesus,
 "Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat."

Jesus then gave them specific instructions about the place..
Enter the city.
A man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water.
Follow him into the house which he enters.
Then say to the master of the house...
"Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with my disciples?"
He will show you a large, furnished upper room;
there make ready.
So they went and found it just as Jesus said to them and they prepared the Passover meal.

I love what Jesus said to them...
"With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God."

Then he took the cup and gave thanks, and said,
"Take this cup and divide it among yourselves; for I say to you I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the Kingdom of God comes."

And He took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them saying,
"This is my body which is given for you; 
do this in remembrance of Me."

Likewise He also took the cup after supper saying,
"This cup is the new covenant in my blood,
which is shed for you."

Just after this,
 Judas, one of His twelve disciples
 quickly left the room and went on his mission to betray
 the Son of God.

Taken from John's gospel chapter 22

Friends, this is why we as Christians take communion.
It is an act of remembrance.
When we take it we remember that Jesus suffered and died on the cross 
so that we could be reconciled to God. 
He gave His life so that we could have eternal life.
We remember all of this and we worship the
  Kings of Kings and Lord of Lords
 whose sacrificial death paid the price we could never pay.


Come have communion with us tomorrow night at Hope Bible Church.
And, join us Sunday morning to celebrate our risen Lord.






No comments: