Sunday, September 27, 2020

God has set a boundary



 The Psalmist speaking of the sea after the time of flood...

"God set a boundary that they (the proud waves) may not pass over;
that they may not return to cover the earth."
Psalm 104:9

I have been meditating in Psalm 104 for several days.
When my spirit is overwhelmed within me,
I find the only solace I need in the word of God.
I chose Psalm 104 because it was the next Psalm in my reading.
This is a beautiful work on the care of God over all of His creation.
It is lyrical and poetic.
It takes my breath away.

I have read it over and over.
I found a commentary by Charles Spurgeon on Psalm 104 on the internet.
I will share His thoughts on verse 9.

"God has set a boundary that they may not pass over;
That they turn not again to cover the earth.
That boundary has once been passed (the flood of Noah and the ark),
But it shall never be so again.
The deluge was caused by the suspension of the divine mandate which held the floods in check;
They knew their old supremacy,
and hastened to reassert it,
but now the covenant promise forever prevents a return of that carnival of waters,
that revolt of the waves.
Ought we not rather to call it that impetuous rush of the indignant floods to avenge the injured honor of their King, whom men had offended?

God's word bounds the ocean,
 using only a narrow belt of sand to confine it to its own limits.
That apparently feeble restraint answers every purpose,
for the sea is obedient as a little child to the bidding of its Maker.

Destruction lies asleep in the bed of the ocean,
and though our sins might well arouse it,
yet are its bounds made strong by covenant mercy
so that it cannot break loose again upon the guilty sons of men."

Oh, the beauty and magnificence of those words.
God is sovereign over all of His creation!
He is so worthy to be given praise and worship and honor!
Why would I think he won't heal my broken heart in His perfect time?

*I have this verse written in the front of the guest book at our beach condo.

No comments: