Thursday, July 30, 2020

coastal georgia


Coastal Georgia is my home.
I am so glad to get to live among the marshes and the rivers 
that take the water and deposit it in the ocean.
There is a certain smell here...kinda salty, earthy, pungent.
It is the smell that lets me know I am where I should be.
I am thankful that Coastal Georgia is my home.

There is one downside to living on the coast.
Every year we enter into what is called hurricane season.
Huricane season 
is that time of the year when a storm barrels off the coast of Africa 
and slowly, very slowly, makes it's way across the Atlantic to the coast of the United States. 
Moving at a snail's pace,
 the residents on the coast of the United States 
watch and wait and hope
 that a storm with a personal name will not hit our little piece of paradise and rip it to shreds. 
Most of the time we are spared, 
but every once in a while a place is simply devastated.
 Our condo at the beach was severely damaged by a storm called Matthew a few years ago.


Here is a picture from Facebook today.
More than likely this guy storm named Isaias will just brush by Tybee next week.
But you never know. 
That is why we watch so intently and wait with measured trepidation.
Bubba handled storms very well.
I, on the other hand, am a little nervous.

But I do have these verses from Luke.
God controls the storms.
I really don't need to be afraid.

"Now it came about on one of those days,
 that Jesus and His disciples got into a boat and He said to them,
 'Let us go over to the other side of the lake.' 
And they launched out.
 But as they were sailing along Jesus fell asleep;
 and a fierce gale of wind descended upon the lake,
 and they began to be swamped and to be in danger.
 And they came to Jesus and woke Him up, saying,
'Master, Master, we are perishing!' 
And being aroused,
 He rebuked the wind and the surging waves, 
and they stopped, 
and it became calm."
Luke 8:22-24

I love God's word so much.
Isn't this passage just awe-inspiring?
I want to trust Him in all things "pertaining to life and godliness..."
even storms that come brushing by our coast.




No comments: