Sunday, January 8, 2023

the mission i mentioned

 


Both David and Amanda have decided that I need a new car. 
Not a NEW car, but a newer car.
The "tank" is getting old.
I can't get it into my garage without a lot of stress.
Walter is going to flip out
(he dearly loves his granddaddy's van)
but, maybe the time has come.

On Friday David and Erika and Lucy and I took the plunge.
First, we would go to Carmax and see what I could get for the tank.
It is a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country with 180.000 miles.
There is nothing wrong with it, 
just regular wear and tear.
David had floated a $10,000 return so that was my base.
While the mechanics took it for a test drive to make their offer,
We took a look at the cars on the sales lot.

Our first observations were sticker shock...
exorbitant prices.
There were very few models to choose from.
And,
they offered me $750.00 for the tank...
not  $7,500.00 but $750.00.
Balloon busted! 🎈 
We sulked away from the dealership with our heads bowed low in shame
as the sales reps commented,
"What were those people thinking bringing that hunk of junk in here?"
"Have they no dignity?"

Next stop,
just down the road a little bit, 
The Honda Dealership.

We hadn't taken ten steps before we were accosted by an overzealous used car salesman.
He looked to be about Harry's age.
He was punked up and thought I would be impressed with "all the tech bells and whistles."
He ensconced me into the driver's seat and started his sales pitch.
When he told me that the car would stop itself if I got too close to the car ahead.
I freaked out,
got out of the vehicle,
 and declared I was done looking at cars for the day.
I needed to get home to rest and process what I had learned.

Here is what I came up with...

1. We will definitely sell the tank ourselves.
2. I want a "smaller" SUV because I like to sit up "high."
3. I have to have leather seats and air conditioning.
4. I do not want anything complicated on the dashboard.
5. It needs to be powered by gas only.
6. Color? Gray with a very light interior.

Erika has done so much research for me.
We will continue to look.
I may want to wait till the prices come down a little bit. 🠟






No comments: