Wednesday, May 25, 2011

illusive canals


Yesterday
I had excruciating
and sudden pain
in tooth #12, upper left. 
Today I had a root canal.

This is what the dentist said
as he was finishing up the procedure
just a little while ago....
"I always like a challenge at the end of the day."

After
drilling
and poking
and prodding
and blowing
and suctioning,
he could not find a single canal in that #12.

Leave it to me. 
If there is going to be a medical anomaly,
I am always the one to provide.

And the shot...
the shot in the gum.
Horrifying.
"I promise..... only one shot and you won't feel a thing,"
said the good doctor.
"If I have to give another shot
 it will be in the roof of your mouth
and it really really hurts, but I rarely have to do that.
Not true.

Three fourths of the way through,
I levitated two feet off of the chair in wild pain.
The dentist asked calmly, "Did that hurt?"
Crazy question.
So, yes I had to get the shot in the roof of my mouth.

Four x rays later after he had drilled up to my eyebrows,
he finally located one canal and then another.
He apologized....

Mercifully,
the torture ended
and I was able to come home.

They had sky radio playing....
"Ruuuuuuby....don't take your love to town."
Haven't heard that song in ages.
c

No comments: