Wednesday, September 14, 2011

the heart of the matter

I have been caught up in an endless cycle of
doctors,
tests,
and then waiting for results.

Made the mistake of mentioning
to my Dr. Mark
that I was having a very infrequent pain in my jaw.

Next thing I know I have an appointement with a cardiologist.
Evidently,
and I didn't know this,
a pain in the jaw
is one of the leading indicators
of an impending heart attack in women.

So bright & early
this past Monday morning
I was in for the dreaded "stress test."
Couldn't eat or have my coffee.
At 10:30 I finally mounted the
"treadmill."
Started walking faster & faster
and uphill at an alarming speed.
Five minutes later I was passed out cold in a chair.

Sure that I had failed the test
and was headed for
immediate open heart surgery,
I made my way home
to await the dreaded news via my cell phone.
At this point I claimed Philippians 4:6
and moved on with life.

Two days later I get the call....
Mrs. Cleland, your heart is perfect...
no blockages, it's running like a well-oiled machine.

Well blow me down.
Why did I faint dead away?
Must have needed coffee really bad.

Okay,
I am done with doctors for a while.
No more tests are needed.
I am healthy as a horse and very thankful.
cathy

2 comments:

Allison Stroud said...

I'm so glad you're ok! I hope to be in Savannah in December for a coffee w/you!

Cathy Cleland said...

That will be great...I will look forward to seeing you. Hope this is a wonderful semester!