Sunday, January 13, 2013

the tender mercies of the Lord


It had been a strange week.
I had a better than usual visit with my dad on Monday last.
He responded to something I said to him
and he got up on his walker and walked a few paces.
Little did I know that would be the last time I would see him alive.

On Wednesday I got sick
and early Friday morning when the call came
I was still not doing well.
Bubba came to my bedside and gave the the news I was not expecting.

Daddy hated being at the nursing home.
He was miserable.
nothing brought him any kind of solace.
Finally there was nothing I could do to minister to him

I was in the process of accepting his situation 
and settling in for the long haul,
still hoping to be able to find a way to make his days more pleasant.

I didn't ask God for much concerning Dad.
We had been told that he would never be any better than he was,
so I prayed for God to comfort and calm him
and to have mercy.
I think I asked you to pray that prayer as well.

The tender mercies of God took him in his sleep sometime
early in the morning of January 11th.
His bed clothes were not even rustled.
He peacefully slipped over to the other side
without any known pain.

How can I not praise God?
Was this not an answer to prayer?

No long extended suffering...
only had about six weeks of struggle.
I could not be more thankful
 as I fall on my face before our worthy God.
I got to see a great work of His one more time.

I am still sick...
but the ministering angels swooped in
just when I needed them
to cook and clean and take down my Christmas tree.

I will miss him....my dad.




No comments: