Monday, January 28, 2013

a bridge too far

 
 
 Pictured above is the great old Talmadge Bridge,
gateway from Savannah to
South Carolina and fascinating places beyond.
 
How many times as a child and a teenager
 would we venture over that bridge
to wonderful places near and far?
 
Back in September,
I started the process of having a bridge made in my mouth.
The middle tooth on the top right was pulled
and crowns were made for the teeth on either side,
thus creating
 what in dental circles is called a bridge.
 
The fall off of my bicycle
 and the ensuing busted lip caused the final installation of said bridge
to be put off until late October.
I noted to self about a month ago....
"that pain associated with the bridge is finally gone."
 
Last week I had my dental cleaning done.
As par course with me,
the dentist noticed that the bridge didn't fit correctly.
"Come back on Monday and we will snap that thing off,
send it back,
and get you one that fits."
 
Well today is Monday and that thing didn't snap off.
Five huge shots of novacaine later
he started sawing
and after about ten minutes of that,
 the worst cracking and pulling ensued,
and THEN it was off.
 
While making the impression for the new bridge,
 the dentist accidentally got glue on my lips
and they stuck fast,
having to be pried apart with much pain.
 
Home...to bed...with pain relievers.
This morning I woke up feeling better than I've felt in over a month.
Didn't last long. :(
 
 
 

No comments: