Wednesday, October 7, 2020

my computer ~ lifeline


This is where I write my blog,
store my pictures,
check the news,
check the weather;
e-mail with friends,
shop on Amazon prime.
My computer is very important in this new widow's life.

Last week it started to do odd things.
Strange things.
Things that it's never done before.

An aside...
this picture is from 2018.
I can't bear to change it because it is the only somewhat current picture I have of all of us together.

Anyway,
last Wednesday the picture went away.
It was replaced by a black screen with a "Welcome to Skype" sign.
I never use Skype.
Every site became "slower than Christmas."
An aside,
my computer is always super fast.

So, 
Friday morning when I turned it on,
all I had was a black screen.
Nothing,
No news or pictures or weather or mail...
Nothing.

 As all computer dummies (me) do,
I texted my computer genius.
Everyone needs a computer genius in their contact list.
He works on my machine remotely.
Perfect for me and him too.

He started working on it immediately and I went on with my day.
By Friday night it was still updating or whatever it does,
I can watch it happening.
I texted him and asked if I could turn it off as it resides in my bedroom.
He said, "No, that wouldn't be a good idea."
And then he texted the dreaded words...
"THIS IS NOT NORMAL!"

No computer takes that long to update.
Not being able to contribute anything else to the problem and not panicking,
 I wrapped it in Bubba's dark blue army blanket and took myself to bed.
All I could think of was another huge expense,
or worse, that my blog and pictures and contacts etc would be lost forever.

Saturday morning it was still updating.
I fully expected bad news.
But, thankfully he worked his magic and got it fixed.
It's running like a charm again.
He really is a genius!

After all the money I've spent to get my teeth and my car fixed,
I am happy not to have to buy a new computer.
I haven't gotten the repair bill yet.
For as long as it took to fix it,I may could have bought a new one.
YIKES!

Ya'll, I'm learning how to take care of things.
I'm getting things done!

This is long, Sorry!




 

No comments: