Saturday, October 23, 2021

i couldn't believe my eyes


This morning I had some errands to run.
I had to go to Publix to get half & half for my coffee.
I needed to stop by the post office to pick up some books I had ordered.
I needed to get gas in my van.
I call it the tank.
It was Bubba's ride.

When I open my front door I am usually blinded by the brightness of the sun.
It takes a minute for my eyes to adjust.
I am overly cautious.
I hold on to the railing.
I watch for lizards.

At first, I didn't know what this dark, wiggly shadow was.
Then I said to myself,
"It can't be a snake!"
Then, 
"It is a snake!"
Then. 
"I have to get my camera!"
The snake never moved a muscle.
He was not bothered by my presence at all.

After I got the picture and put the camera back inside,
I was faced with actually descending the stairs.
"What if he darts at me?"
"Can snakes fly?"
"Should I get my broom after him?"

I decided to make a run for it.
The snake stayed put.
He didn't have a care in the world.
I made it safely down and proceeded on to do my errands.

I dreaded coming home.
Mercifully, from afar I could tell he was gone.
But where did he go?
Obviously, his home is under my stairs.
I've seen this guy before stretched out on the sidewalk in front of my apartment.
I did see a lizard on the railing tough.
That ALWAYS causes a shot of adrenalin to pass through my chest.

🦎🐍
😨


This guy had attached himself to my porch as well.
I'm not afraid of snails thankfully!







 

No comments: