Wednesday, October 18, 2023

the rice story


Along with the broccoli chicken casserole that my grandkids love,
I always make a big pot of rice.
Eight cups of water ~ four cups of rice.
Green onions sauteed in butter.
Cook for 20 minutes.
It's easy and good, and rice is a filler.

I have never used this brand before.
I've always used Mahatma from my earliest days of marriage.
The commissary was out of Mahatma so I chose Blue Ribbon instead.
It advertised #1 Quality. 
You can't go wrong with that, right?

I cut the new bag open and measured out four cups.
In the minute that I turned around to get the clip,
the counter around the measured-up rice was crawling with bugs.


At first I was shocked.
What are those?
Where did they come from?
Could they have been in the new bag of rice?
What should I do?

David, Erika, and the kids were due in 30 minutes for Gus' birthday party.
The onions were sauteed.
Surely they all came out and there are no more bugs in the rice!
I panicked and guess what?
I poured the rice into the pot and cooked it for 20 minutes.
It looked delicious.

When they arrived,
I told them what had happened.
Erika took one look at the cooked rice and spotted many little black bugs fully cooked.
Unedible!
Of course!
What was I thinking?
My dinner was ruined!

Solution?
David went to the Chinese take-out restaurant around the corner
 and bought 10 dollars worth of plain white race. 
He saved the day and my delicious meal.

I'm questioning my decision to cook with tainted rice.
Momentary insanity?
Are my cooking days over?
Very hard questions.
We ended up having a lot of laughs about the whole process.
And, I'm never buying Blue Ribbon rice again.
😊








 

No comments: