Monday, August 27, 2007

that first burst of flavor

I had stopped by the open-air market on the road to the beach yesterday to buy some silver queen corn when I spotted them......the first scuppernongs of the season. I scooped up a basket full and laid down my four dollars without batting an eye. I didn't even wait to get home and wash them. I had that first amazing burst of flavor right in the car.

I cannot describe that taste. Because it only comes for a limited time each year it is even more highly anticipated. It didn't disappoint! Now for the next month I will very nearly make myself sick, but Oh what an illness!!!! Thank you Lord for all of Your many vairied and wonderful taste sensations that make life so enjoyable.

Our trip to Chicago had to be delayed. I don't know if I can go much longer without seeing Lucy again.

Bubba left at 4:00 am yesterday morning to head back to DC to assess the situation there. We are hopeful that there will be another contract job for him. This is in God's hands and we want what He wants for us. As I said before, we are excited to see where He leads us in this matter.

I had a little birthday party at the condo for my mom today. She turns 82 on Thursday of this week. I made shrimp salad and had cake and ice cream. She enjoyed it so much and wanted to know when the next party was going to be.

Yesterday I visited Aunt Dottie in her new place. She seemed to be settling in and accepting it a little better.

Beverly, Sandy, and I met for lunch on Saturday and went to visit our moms. We really enjoyed catching up and being together for the first time in a long while. It's always good to get back together with people you have known practically your whole life. I am grateful for all of the friends that have keep up with me over the years.......another blessing in my life.

2 comments:

Grace said...

I must ask - what is a scuppernong?

Anonymous said...

It is a most wonderful sweet tasting grape that only is available in the late summer. I probably spelled it wrong....they are close kin to muscadines. You should try them!!!