Wednesday, November 19, 2008

a fire in the fireplace

One of the loves of my life is a fire in the fireplace. I made that desire come true tonight.

This house has no natural gas coming to it so the fireplace has sat empty since we moved in last March. Now that it has gotten so cold and dark, I have been longing for the warmth of a cozy fire.

Today I started thinking seriously about what I could do to make that happen. Suddenly I thought, fireplace logs. Hooray!

I got myself over to the nearest Wal Mart and purchased a whole box of three. After dinner I got one out and read the instructions, but not before I had ripped open the packaging and handled the greasy mess that it was.

Then I read the instructions that said I was to put the log on the grate in the package and light the seam. Oh well.....too late for that piece of info to do me any good. I did rewrap the log and light the seam which soon resulted in the glorious picture that you see above.

There it is in all of its glory;

giving off its soft glow
flickering on the wall
offering warmth on a very cold night

Okay...I know it is not the real thing.

But I will say this, It is better than nothing.

I've looked ahead to see that this Thanksgiving will be cold and you can know for sure that several of these will be burned on that wonderful day. Family, good food, and a fire to gather around. It doesn't get any better than that.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Very thankful, Cathy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad we could not salvage the
wood from "the old oak tree"
I am sure it was petrified from
the lightening strike.
The picture looks wonderful

Anonymous said...

Play like.......

Anonymous said...

cruel comment..........