Friday, November 7, 2008

a mystery waiting to be written

I found this very interesting tombstone at a tiny little cemetary at Tybee today.

All three of these souls are buried in the same grave. Were they male or female?

They all had the same last name so probably they were related.

What happened to cause their death?

How old were they when they died? Everything about these Rotureaus is a mystery.

All we know about them is that they were alive and they washed ashore on Tybee Island in 1876.

Someone cared enough to give them a proper burial and put their names on a tombstone so that my imagination could be sparked.

I think I have found the material for my first novel.

c




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Rotureaus hale from Thunderbolt, GA. There are some buried in Bonaventure Cemetery in the 1800 and 1900.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I plan to go to the beach library and do some research.

I think a lot about what could have happened to them.

I am guessing that the name Rotureau is french.