Tuesday, January 31, 2012

brother john

It was 1959.
I was eleven years old.

The beloved pastor of Calvary Baptist Temple,
John Wilder,
had died and we needed a leader.

John T. Tippett,
known affectionally as Brother John,
was called
and came to be our pastor.

He served for twenty five years.
He saw me through my teenage years,
He married Bubba and I,
he baptized David and Amanda.
He shaped all of our lives
with his fiery preaching and his constant presence.

Brother John died this past Friday.
He finally got to meet,
 face to face,
 his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

We went to his memorial service today.
It was like stepping back in time.
The old friends that were members of his flock
came by the droves.
We came to
remember and honor,
the years of devotion and service he gave to us.

John Tippett was bigger than life.
He was our hero and our friend.
I remember his hands...
they were very large.
They held me steady in the baptisimal pool
and they joined me forever
to my husband.

His son Tom spoke today 
of Brother John's final days of life on this earth.....
He had a mask on his face to help him breathe.
Tom asked him how he was doing.
Not able to hear his response,
Tom lifted the mask to hear these words....
"I'm following Jesus."

What a way to go into His presence Brother John...
Following Him all the way home!


No comments: