Friday, October 10, 2008

The slanted bed

We go to it every night.
We spend from six to nine hours there mostly when it is pitch black outside.
We cover it with the softest sheets we can afford.
It is a place of luxury for the senses.
We keep it very clean and smelling wonderful.
To slide between those sheets and finally relax is to be engulfed in paradise.

I am describing, in case you couldn't guess, the BED.

When we moved into this house, I purchased six inch bed-risers and raised our bed to new heights of glory. It was a masterpiece. Covered with a duvet and lots of pillows it was a joy to behold.

While visiting with my doctor a couple of weeks ago for a check-up he suggested that a bed slanted to a fifteen degree angle at the head would keep one in good health and happiness all their life long.

"Wow," I said, "that sounds like a good deal to me......anything for long life and happiness."

I waited a while to tell Bubba. I couldn't fathom giving up my high bed.

When I finally told him, he wanted to give it a try. We needed three 4 inch blocks to fix it all up.

Many years ago when our church was constucting it's new building he had picked up some scrap wood..........a good, solid, sturdy 4x4 was found and I was asked to stand on it while he used his power saw to cut three lovely four inch square blocks.

We took the bed apart and sadly removed the six inch bed-risers excitedly replacing them with the four inch blocks only at the head. The bed was put back together.

It was the saddest looking thing I've ever seen......but hey, this wasn't about looks, it was about health and happiness right?

The first night we both felt like we were going to slide off the end of the bed.

By the third night our backs and legs felt strained.

By the end of the week we were getting up super early because we just couldn't stand to be in the bed another minute.

Monday morning Bubba asked very kindly if "didn't I think it was time to give up with the slanted bed." He said he would keep on with it if I wanted too.

Monday night we were back on our six inch risers.

So much for health and happiness.....we just want comfort for our rest.

cathy

No comments: