Saturday, February 14, 2009

on turning sixty-one


I have always loved birthdays......I've thrown lots of birthday parties in my life. A birthday is a celebration of life and a great opportunity to show love.
My special day on Thursday was filled with people showing love to me.
I got 24 Happy Birthday messages on facebook
Lots of e-mails from so many friends
Phone calls
Beautiful cards with and without money
A new book, "The Johnstown Flood," by David McCullough
An Antropology gift card
A candle scented with smells from the beach
My biggest surprise came at dinner. Bubba and David ordered Lou Malnates pizza from Chicago. It was delivered packed in dry ice. I was so excited by this gesture and the pizza was as good as if we were sitting in the restaurant in Chicago.
Its that thing I've talked about before.............thinking about the person you love and choosing a gift that she will love. It means so much. That is why this birthday was so special.
The best way to describe myself right now from the effects of the situation with my family is "raw" inside. This birthday was so sweet as all of the people who love me reached out in kindness to let me know they care.
I thank all of you for your thoughts, your prayers, your gifts, and most of all for your kindness.
In being cut off from my family......I rejoice that there are so many people in my life who care. My birthday couldn't have come at a better time this year.
Cathy

No comments: