Wednesday, May 13, 2009

her little hand in mine

Lucy and I went shopping today.
She needed a pair of sunglasses to keep in my van.
Because I always wear my sunglasses she needs to do the same.

We
visited aunt Dottie
ate at the gorilla
shopped for the sunglasses
played at the play area.

Afterwards we went went to the candy shop where she chose a lollipop and I chose a chocolate covered cherry for out treat. (She dropped her sucker on the floor but had it back in her mouth before I could stop her.) I cringed, but figured the damage was already done.

As we were walking to the car, I noticed that she took my hand. I was humming a tune and she was humming a tune and there we went down the mall holding hands and making music.

I am struck by how much she watches what I do and how she copies.

Never doubt.........children pick up your ways. That is how they learn. Oh what a responsibility we as adults have. Role models we are at a high cost.

I finished the 900 page Winds of War last night and will be starting the 1039 page War and Remembrance tonight. I am completely enthralled.

Here is a quote from the last page........

He, Victor Henry, the lead character, a career Navy man, is thinking.....

He could almost picture God the Father looking down with sad wonder at this mischief (the II World War). In a world so rich and lovely, could His children find nothing better to do than to dig iron from the ground and work it into grotesque engines for blowing each other up? Yet this madness was the way of the world.

He had given all his working years to it. Now he was about to risk his very life at it. Why? (At the end of the first book, The United States had just entered the war.)

Because with all its rotten spots, the United States of America was not only his homeland, but the hope of the world. Because if America's enemies dug up iron and made deadly engines of it, America had to do the same, and do it better, or die. (This still holds true)

Some of the best reading material of my life!!

Thanks for the movies of the books, Bobbye. I am thrilled that I can see all of these rich characters portrayed on the screen. Tell George I understand why these books are his favorites.

No comments: